Sunday 18 September 2022

More birds from Captain Stevenson's Point

 I have been going to the Point in a (so far) vain attempt to write down a White-fronted Tern before they all nick off back to NZ to breed.  That was helpful a couple of days ago with a small flock of Red Knots.

The Knots were also there today.  Of more help, especially in the Bird-a Day arena was the first Eastern Curlew of the season.  It is in this photo - check under the arch of driftwood.

The bill is long - way too long for a Whimbrel, dammit - but not so dramatic as that of a female Curlew.  So I think it is a male.

The quietness of the area was destroyed more than somewhat by 3 Caspian Terns which were constantly calling.  Given the ruckus and some stunt flying I have called this a courtship/display breeding event.  This was the start with the third bird descending on two which seemed to be good friends (but not, as far as I saw, anything more than that).
The next two images are flight shots - I don't get many of these so excuse me while I flaunt them!
Notice the open bill, allowing the screech to emanate!
The angle and speed of descent - especially the leading bird - led me to conclude that it was channelling its inner Stuka.
To  complete a pretty good morning I then spotted 2 Sooty Oystercatchers on the far side of the Inlet.   

Looking at the mouth it seemed that the surf was breaking not too far out, suggesting that the sandbar is moving in.  I suspect that without a good rain event it will soon close.  (Betka is already shut.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.