Wednesday 8 June 2022

How grotty is the weather?

 The early morning of 8 June 2022 seems to be fairly ordinary in terms of weather.  As I type it is 7.1C with a 10kph wind and 6.6mm of rain having fallen since midnight.  This has led me to search out a past blogpost in which I set out some criteria for unpleasant weather.  They were, for hourly records:

  • Temperature <10C; and
  • Wind - presumably gust - >20kph; and 
  • Rain >1mm.

I have applied those criteria to my weather station records for June to date.  4 hourly periods (to 0600 on 8 June) satisfy them: 2100hrs on 7 June and 0000, 0100 and 0200 on 8 June.  So yes, Virginia: the weather on this day is grotty.  Looking back to the original post there were only 5 days in the period February 2019 to August 2021 with more than 3 grotty days. 

I have now examined the full period of my WS records.  This set of 4 grotty hours are the first which have met the criteria since August 2019.  Hola, La Nina!  The weather forecast, and the series of shower cells in the SW wind stream  shown on the radar as heading towards Mallacoota, suggests there is scope for further additions to the score in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.