Wednesday 23 February 2022

Another visit to the Marsh

 On 22 February I went for another walk round the Marsh opposite Angophora Drive.  It might be easier, in terms of flagging access points, to refer to it as the Marsh between Fisheries Jetty and Stingray Point!

The aim of the walk was to check a dead Whistling Kite for traces of fishing line entanglement, which had been suggested as a possible cause of collision with a tree.  So there will be a couple of images of a dead bird below.  To save those who don't like seeing corpses here is a map: scroll on at your peril.

The dead kits is at point 1, about 3 m above the ground.  To me it looks as though it was flying low to the ground (a harrier impersonation?) and didn't spot the snags.
The feet are well exposed and show  no sign of entanglement,
It is possible there was line around the (hidden) head but I could pick up no trace of it.

On a happier note when I got to point 2, in fairly dense vegetation I played a call of a Southern Emuwren and got a response.  Then I saw one - a male with a spiffy blue throat - dodging around in the bushes.  It didn't appear for a photo so I ticked it and moved on.

In fact I moved on to point 3 where I found at least 4 White-fronted Chats.  One of them looked like quite a young bird which is not a surprise as the area is just the sort of habitat they would nest in.
Another was clearly an adult male.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.