Thursday 25 March 2021

Weather station data on the event of 23 March

 Following on from yesterdays post about the BoM data here are some snippets from my Weather Station (WS).  

The first chart compares the rainfall recorded each hour at the WS with that recorded by BoM.

Clearly the two stations recorded very similar amounts (107.4mm BoM and 109.0mm WS) and the pattern is also very similar.  I was intrigued that BoM was higher until 1800hrs on the 23rd and then WS took the lead.  I wondered if this was changes in the wind, but can see nothing in the wind direction data to support that.
The next chart shows the intensity of the rain.  The maximum rate was 75.2 mm per hr.  Of the 899 previous rainfall records only 18 are higher than this.
The next chart could be titled "An Indicator of Nastiness" showing rain rate and wind gust (both as measured by my WS).
I think the power lines gave up the struggle around 8PM, coincident with the strongest gusts.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.