Wednesday 26 June 2019

Charlies Creek track

We decided to try the Charlie Creek track which runs from the Double Creek Nature Trail to Captain's Creek Jetty.  I say "try" as the last time I went this route the track was badly flooded.  As Parks have taken the notice down perhaps it is no longer flooded!

This is the approximate route.  (I forgot my phone so don't have the handy logged route from eBird.)
 There were very few flowers along the route, but many fungi.  This is one of the more interesting which I have been able to identify as Clavaria miniata although as often the case with fungi it seems to have got another name as well.
 I think I mentioned floods.  We managed to skirt this one, just.  It was about 1km into the walk and we decided that if there was any more like this we'd pull the pin.
 There weren't so we kept going until we got to the top of a downhill at about 55 minutes and decided that was long enough.  Somewhere along the way - I think just before we crossed Charlies Creek we saw a largeish deer: this was the first we seen in the area, although I have seen tracks on the beach art Betka (and possibly near the mouth of the Inlet).

We had crossed this rather slippery "bridge" on the way out and did so again.  Neither of us fell off, and the troll had gone somewhere with less leaks in it!
 I would have thought this fungus would be east to identify but this was not the case.  I have concluded it is Cortinarius archeri in which the mauve cap goes golden brown as it ages.
 Another one that I thought would be easy to ID given its shape.  I think it is Clitocybe sp.
Possibly because we didn't spend so long assessing 'difficulties" such as the bridge and the swamp we got back 10 minutes quicker than the way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.