Saturday 27 April 2019

Mainly waves and sunset

We headed down to Bastion Point about 1500 hrs on the 27th to see if the waves were any better.  Indeed they were.

The immediately interesting observation was that the waves were breaking in a continuous line from the outlet round to the breakwater - about 1 km .  Usually the break is patchy as the surf hits sandbanks or runs through channels.  Something was smoothed the sea bed out!

Second, I noticed that the tidemark was right up to the edge of the bushes, and the sand was quite flat and compressed well above the waterline. I think there had been some big waves washing in over night,  This was close to confirmed by the wet patch evident while we were there.
A few images of the waves nearly all >1m and a fair proportion around 2m.
With a nice break like this I am astonished there wasn't a surfer in sight.  Perhaps they were all watching the Bells competition on TV?
I like the spindrift off the top of breakers.
The outlet was extremely rough with waves and ripples seeming to run in all directions.  You'd need a large serve of hero pills to take a boat through that!
There were a lot (at least 100) of small waders feeding in the wash zone.  These two are Red-necked Stints.
Another Stint and one of 83 Red-capped Plovers
This had me bluffed.  I thought initially it was a octopus then a cuttlefish,  However I have concluded it is a squid, from which the tentacles have been eaten.  It was apparently still alive!  FAKE NEWS!  Following comment on Facebook I now agree that it is a shark or ray egg case.  However I have no real idea which species.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but if I decide they are spam or otherwise inappropriate they will not be approved.